The United Nations Secretary-General’s Peacebuilding Fund’s (PBF) Gender and Youth Promotion Initiative #GYPI is an expression of the Fund’s commitment to inclusive peacebuilding. It supports the empowerment of women and the advancement of gender equality and recognizes the role of young people as central to the relevance and effectiveness of PBF’s overall peacebuilding portfolio.
Through the initiative the PBF seeks to increase its impact and advance the implementation of the Secretary General’s Seven-Point Action Plan on Gender-Responsive Peacebuilding and Security Council resolutions on Women, Peace and Security, as well as Security Council resolution 2250 (2015) on Youth, Peace and Security.
The aims for the Gender and Youth Promotion Initiative are to:
Gender Promotion Initiative
- Strengthen the integration of gender equality and women’s empowerment within existing prevention and peacebuilding initiatives;
- Support innovative projects, focused on gender equality and women’s empowerment with the potential for catalytic effect and peacebuilding outcomes;
- Contribute to collective operational learning on gender-responsive programming;
- Accelerate implementation of the Secretary-General Seven-Point Action Plan and its commitment to increase funding of gender-responsive peacebuilding projects; and
- Maintain and improve performance against the Secretary-General’s target of allocating a minimum of fifteen per cent of all peacebuilding funding to gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Youth Promotion Initiative
- Strengthen the participation of young women and young men within existing prevention and peacebuilding initiatives;
- Support innovative projects, focused on youth empowerment and participation, that have the potential for catalytic effects and peacebuilding outcomes;
- Enhance support to youth civil society organizations, and facilitate their partnership with international CSOs, Government and UN entities active in their country;
- Contribute to collective operational learning on youth-inclusive programming.
- Support the implementation of Security Council resolution 2250 on Youth, Peace and Security.